In partnership with the community, we feed students healthy food so they can achieve success… and we have been doing it in Halton for 20 years!
We certainly have come a long way from our initial 6 programs in 1997 to 130 schools, with 200 programs providing healthy food to more than 27,000 students each week! Our dedicated army of 2,100 community volunteers, including 930 student volunteers, served over 3.4 million healthy snacks and meals last year alone!
As of 2017-2018, 72% of all Halton students have access to a Student Nutrition Program, which is amazing, but we are not done! Our vision is a Halton region where no student goes hungry at school and we keep coming up with fun and innovative ways to focus on healthy eating at school.
Last year we unveiled the HFFT Blender Bikes and launched our first Salad Bar programs, with 2 more to come each year for the next three years across the region!
This year, in addition to ensuring existing programs remain strong and sustainable, and the addition of 13 new programs across Halton, we are expanding on the Great Big Crunch, to include a month-long focus on healthy local eating, complete with weekly educational resources. Of course, we will still be celebrating like last year, with one HUGE moment of non-silence on Thursday October 26th!
With the support of our community, volunteers, funders and donors, we will continue to expand our reach, because we know that students who eat healthy food during the school day are better prepared to focus on their studies and achieve higher grades.
- Since the addition of healthy foods during the school day, 83% of partner schools report an increase in student readiness to learn
- 69% report students demonstrate an overall improvement in school performance and academic success since starting their Student Nutrition Program
- 63% of new partner schools report a reduction in at risk student behaviour
- Since including healthy foods into the school community, 87% of partner schools report student demonstrate greater energy levels
- 87% of partner schools report increased student participation in classroom activities (and enhanced attentiveness)
- Since starting their Student Nutrition Program, 79% of partner schools report their students are more engaged within their school community
To view Student Nutrition Programs in Action, CLICK HERE.
To learn more about how you can support Student Nutrition Programs in Halton, and make a difference in our students’ lives, contact firstname.lastname@example.org